The Dr. Jeanne L. Noble Delta GEMS (Growing & Empowering Myself Successfully) program is a natural outgrowth and expansion of the highly successful “Dr. Betty Shabaaz Delta Academy” created to “catch the dreams” of at-risk, adolescent girls aged 14-18.
The Delta GEMS program is geared toward inspiring and enriching young women and provides the framework to actualize those dreams through the performance of program activities are centered around leadership, community outreach, public service, cultural awareness, dealing with peer pressure, image building, and developing strong, confident and respectful young ladies by striving to prepare them to take active roles in their success and in society at-large.
The goals of the Delta G.E.M.S program are:
- To develop strong, confident and respectful young ladies and prepare them to take an active role in their success and society. To instill in girls the need to excel academically.
- To provide tools that will enable girls to sharpen and enhance their skills to achieve high levels of academic successes.
- To assist girls in proper goal-setting and planning for their futures.
- To create compassionate, caring, and community minded young women by actively involving them in service learning and community service opportunities.
The program serves as a motivational strategy to inspire and encourage African-American teenage girls with the ultimate goal of increasing their knowledge and awareness of issues affecting women of color. The implementation of the program will be accomplished through a variety of workshops, meetings, socials and cultural events/activities to include:
- Scholarship (Academic Excellence)
- Sisterhood (Self Esteem, Health Awareness, and Leadership)
- Financial Awareness (Show Us the Money)
- Service (Social Responsibility through Community Service)
- Infinitely Complete (Rites of Passage)